Sunday 30 December 2012

NYE


Normally people fall into one of two groups. Those who love New Years Eve (that's me!), they get really excited and reminisce about previous NYEs and the fun they've had, get misty eyed about the year gone past and get all philosophical about the new one and wonder where we'll all be in another year... And those who couldn't give a shit, think of it as just another night, it's a relief to get it all over with. Start afresh. Move on. Etc. Etc...

I have always loved New Years Eve. Sometimes (prior to kids) it's been the best night of the year. Getting dressed up and going out with friends singing, dancing, drinking, merriment. In my high school days (when under age drinking was just fine), we'd doll ourselves up in new outfits from the Boxing day sales, do a big pub crawl, then at 11.30 head to the old marketplace, in the centre of town, to hear the brass band play a countdown to midnight, amid cheers and lots of kissing of friends and strangers alike, before liking arms and da de da ing to Auld Lang Syne at the top of our lungs! Those were the days...

This year however, I'm amazed to say, I'm content to have a quiet (ish) one. We went to a glitzy bash at the top of Q1 last year.  To see in 20I3, I think we'll stay in.  I feel quite contented. Christmas with family was lovely (gifts galore!), the past few days of lazing by the pool have been bliss, tonight I'm meeting with an old best friend from my London days, who I can't wait to see as we have sooo much to catch up on, I've been to the sales and bought a new pair of heels (yay!), a dress and a gorgeous long nightie (remember, I like to be knicker-less in bed!), so I feel pretty replete.  So, this year, I think I'll be happy to quaff some champagne, and maybe a glass of port or two, enjoy the company of my dear husband and a select few, put on some cheesy tunes and chat the night away...

Whatever your plans are, have a good one chaps!  All the very best for 2013!

1 comment: